The story in a nutshell
In 1843, the site was leased to Capel Carmel’s Trustees for 999 years. After the last tenant, Thomas John Jones, retired from the shop and left the house, the building started to deteriorate and it was decided that action had to be taken to protect it before it was too late. In 2014 a local committee was established to oversee the work.
The work so far
In 2017 a grant was awarded by the Llŷn Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Sustainable Development Fund. We also received financial support from Cadw, Community Investment Fund and National Lottery Heritage Fund, Local Area Unit of Outstanding Natural Beauty, The Community Investment Fund and Charitable Trusts.
What followed was two years of hard work with the development work, submitting a successful bid to the Welsh Government's Community Facilities Program towards infrastructure, bringing electricity to the site, as well as community and external elements such as landscaping, parking and external interpretation.
In 2020 construction work began to restore Siop Plas, as well as the external project. The cafe at Siop Plas will be opening its doors in October.
Plans for the future
The chapel’s house, which is called Plas, is listed as Grade II. The next part of the project is to renovate the chapel, as well as the house for local residents.